Thursday, May 29, 2008

whatever













One sad thing about this world is that the acts that take the most out of you are usually the ones that other people will never know about.

-Anne Tyler

And so it is as I'm caught up in the banal day to day grocery list for salt, catfood and bananas etc....
And my general disposition today is - whatever. So I will write about whatever, by William Bee. Within this smart little picture book is a cautionary tale similar to Maurice Sendak's Pierre. Remember that one? Pierre said, "I don't care," to all of his parents' requests until he is eaten by a lion.

Whatever is about Billy. His dad tries to please him many, many ways including puppets, animals, a bouncy castle and a spaceship ride. What is Billy's response...you guessed it, "whatever."
And in the end it is a Tiger who swallows Billy.
"Dad I'm still in here you know..."
"... whatever."
William Bee's sparse text and bright digital graphics completely fascinate my two-year-old. I watched her pick up the book and examine it closely- especially the page where Billy's legs and torso are hanging out of the tiger's mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your thoughts : )